Chippendale Mahogany Blockfront Bureau

Boston or Salem area, circa 1775

Beautifully proportioned, this chest is branded C. STORER by Clement Storer (1760-1830) a Portsmouth, New Hampshire merchant, United States Congressmen and Senator. It is constructed of dense mahogany with a rich patina and retains its original brass hardware. A Chippendale side chair and a roundabout chair with the same brand are in the Governor John Langdon House owned by Historic New England in Portsmouth. This bureau is most likely one of the two bureaus listed in Storer’s estate inventory dated 1831. Width 32” by height 31 ½” (Narrow strip added to back of top, repairs to feet, original brass hardware)

 

© 2014 Peter Sawyer
All photographs and text are the property of Peter Sawyer
and may not be duplicated without permission.
All Rights Reserved